I was born in Montreal, Canada and grew up in Jericho, Vermont. I studied math and physics at Carnegie Mellon University and went to grad school in physics at the University of Washington in Seattle, doing theoretical research in the biophysics of lipid membranes. As a postdoctoral researcher in the department of Biomedical Engineering at Northwestern University, I studied the biophysics of gene regulation. Later I worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the Neurology department of Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City, looking for the genetic causes of spasmodic dysphonia, a motor control disorder impairing speech. Currently I am Staff Bioinformatician at the Jill Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease at Weill Cornell Medicine.
The views I express here are my own and not those of Weill Cornell Medicine.
My email address is ‘greg(my last name)@gmail.com’.
- Putzel, G.G., T. Fuchs, G. Battistella, E. Rubien-Thomas, A. Blitzer, L.J. Ozelius, and K. Simonyan, 2016. GNAL mutation in isolated laryngeal dystonia. Movement Disorders. (link)
- Putzel, G.G., M. Tagliazucchi, and I. Szleifer, 2014. Nonmonotonic Diffusion of Particles Among Larger Attractive Crowding Spheres. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113: 138302 (link)
- Matsuda, H., G.G. Putzel, V. Backman and I. Szleifer, 2014. Macromolecular Crowding as a Regulator of Gene Transcription. Biophys. J. 106: 1801–1810 (link)
- Stanich, C.A., A.R. Honerkamp-Smith, G.G. Putzel, C.S. Warth, A.K. Lamprecht, P. Mandal, E. Mann, T.D. Hua and S.L. Keller, 2013. Coarsening Dynamics of Domains in Lipid Membranes. Biophys. J. 105: 444-454 (link)
- Putzel, G.G., M.J. Uline, I. Szleifer, and M. Schick, 2011. Interleaflet coupling and domain registry in phase-separated lipid bilayers. Biophys. J. 100: 996–1004 (link)
- Putzel, G.G. and M. Schick, 2011. Insights on raft behavior from minimal phenomenological models. J. Phys: Condens. Matter 23: 284101 (link)
- Putzel, G.G., D. Andelman, Y. Tsori, and M. Schick, 2010. Ionic effects on the electric field needed to orient dielectric lamellae. J. Chem. Phys. 132: 164903 (link)
- Putzel, G.G., and M. Schick, 2009. Theory of Raft Formation by the Cross-Linking of Saturated or Unsaturated Lipids in Model Lipid Bilayers. Biophys. J. 96: 4935–4940 (link)
- Putzel, G.G., and M. Schick, 2008. Phenomenological Model and Phase Behavior of Saturated and Unsaturated Lipids and Cholesterol. Biophys. J. 95: 4756–4762 (link)
- Putzel, G.G., and M. Schick, 2008. Phase Behavior of a Model Bilayer Membrane with Coupled Leaves. Biophys. J. 94: 869–877 (link)